Grace Lutheran Church, 33 South 11th Street, Reading PA 19602,  (610)375-3961, Arial photo of Grace Lutheran church located in Berks County, Reading PA

The History of Grace Lutheran Church


Grace Lutheran Church grew from a mission Sunday School sponsored by the mother church, Trinity Lutheran, Reading. The first building, a beautiful chapel situated on the corner of South Eleventh Street near penn, was constructed at a cost of $12,000. The cornerstone had been laid on Sunday, May 11, 1877, and the Chapel was dedicated on April 7, 1878.

Frederick Dease and his wife Margaret were the first members of Grace Church, and on october 7, 1878, they headed the list of 54 signers. When the constitution was adopted on October 31, 1878, 42 more names were announced. By year-end 119 members were on the rolls.

By 1888, the congregation had outgrown the Chapel, and on October 7th of that year, the cornerstone of the new Grace Church was laid. The Sunday school roomswere dedicated April 14, 1889 and on March 24, 1890, the main chamber of the church was dedicated.

In 1899, the Parish House, adjoining the church, was formally opened

In 1902 major improvements were made to the Church and Parish House.

In 1978 major renovations to the Sanctuary were completed, and an elevator was added, both being dedicated that same year.

In April of 1998, demolition of the Parish House took place to make room for a 5,000 square foot office and Sunday school addition. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held in May with the dedication scheduled for November of 1998.

Grace Church began as, and continues to be a family of faith whose doors are open to all and whose ministry continues to grow.


Home  |  History  |  Newsletter  |  Youth  |   ELCA  |   Links  | Map | Contact
33 S. 11th Street, Reading PA 19602  |  (610) 375-3961  |
Copyright Grace Lutheran Church   |  Website Design and Maintenance by Ion Web, Inc.